Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fearfully Trusting - Dinner #15

      I do NOT do well with doctor appointments – I may shake, turn pale, or even hyperventilate – LOL! . . . But a doctor appointment that I had scheduled for this week was a very special one that I didn’t want to miss! SMILE!  There is a “little blessing” coming to our home about 8 months from now, and it was to be the first time my husband and I would catch a glimpse of that growing bundle.  I knew that I would need God’s peace if joy was going to override the usual anxiety.  Asking others to pray was good, but I knew that I would need some time with just me and the Lord as well.  As I set about to write a few verses down for myself, Joshua 1:9 immediately came to my mind: “ . . . for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.”   No matter where I go – even a scary doctor’s office! SMILE!  Do you know that the Lord is with YOU, wherever YOU go, this week? 
     Believe me, in the space of just a few minutes, I can come up with a whole bunch of “doctor things” to be fearful about! Another verse I often need is Psalm 34:4: “I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.” When anxiety comes our way, we must recall that God has been with us in the past, and He has promised to stay with us in the present and the future too! I Samuel 7:12 declares, “ . . . Hitherto hath the LORD helped us.” Up until this point, He has not let us down, nor does He ever intend to!
     Sometimes the “what ifs” in life can grip us with great fear.  It is important to remember that, “The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.” (Psalm 145:9)  We cannot “outsmart” or “out-think” God.  You can ask my husband . . . Time and time again, my mind goes through all the bad scenarios that COULD possibly happen in any given situation.  Within seconds, I can be so fearful about something that I’m on the verge of having a worrying panic attack. SMILE!  In Psalm 16:9, David declares, “ . . . my flesh also shall rest in hope.”  When my human flesh wants to work in “anxious overtime”, the Holy Spirit must remind me to “rest in hope”.  Hope for the best, not the worst!  Trust in your Heavenly Father, Who KNOWS what is best for you!
     Even little things can be frightening at times.  It gets scary at night if we ladies have to be home alone while our husbands are working. It can be frightening just getting gasoline at a creepy gas station!  Isaiah 26:3 tells us, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”  Not just a LITTLE peace during those times, but PERFECT peace!  If we will only keep our eyes and our thoughts on our Savior, all will be well, for He is right there for us!  And He is TRUSTWORTHY!
     I don’t know about you, but these aren’t truths I need just “once in a blue moon”.  These are verses and thoughts that I must remind myself of ALL THE TIME!  And my husband has to remind me too! SMILE!  I can be a worrier in a hurry, if I let myself, but God’s Word is alive and it brings us PEACEFUL HOPE!  So do you know what I’ll be doing when another doctor’s appointment roles around next week??  I’ll be reminding myself of these verses again! SMILE!  You see, fear is very human, but the spiritual weapon is FAITH in the Lord.  That means seeing a fresh glimpse of how wonderful and powerful God really is, relying completely on Him, and finding sweet peace.  May you and I both find that peace as we trust Him during our moments of fear, this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment